Every custom home project begins with selecting the right piece of property to put the future house on. Choosing the correct “lot” can be a daunting task and can drastically affect the overall cost of the home you plan to build. Here is a list of some of the most important considerations you need to be aware of before purchasing any lot:
- What municipality is it located in?
- Is there an established HOA or ARB?
- What Flood zone is it located in?
- Are there utilities available?
- Do protected trees or animal habitats exist on the property?
- Are there considerable topography changes within the lot?
- Are there existing houses on adjacent lots or behind your property?
- Is it a corner lot?
- Are there soil types, suitable for traditional construction present on the property?
- Is the property located within a historic or preservation district?
- What size and or shape is your lot?
There are many considerations in creating a comprehensive construction budget and site-specific conditions make up a large portion of the true cost of construction.
The “Know Your Lot” series will dive into what you should look for while deciding on a property. I feel the following information is the first step in either making or breaking your custom home budget.
- Ryan Cornelison